How We Forecast
To achieve Superior Accuracy™, we harness the expert skills of the world’s leading meteorologists in tandem with the most robust database of forecast models, most advanced global forecast engine, proprietary patents, and comprehensive validation results pinpointed for every location on Earth. AccuWeather is the leader in forecasting innovation with unique, hyper-local and specialized forecasts using foundational global real-time and historical data to efficiently and effectively add maximum value, preparing our users for high impact weather events, saving lives and protecting property, and to help make better decisions throughout the day. As the leader in Big Data, AccuWeather collects the most complete database of forecast models from governments and partners around the world. To add the most value, we focus on the impact of our forecasts and warnings so people can live their lives better and businesses will operate safer, become more efficient and profitable. Nearly 2 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day.
AccuWeather provides hour-by-hour and minute-by-minute forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available through smart phones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites via AccuWeather.com, award winning AccuWeather apps, connected TVs, wearables, smart homes, and connected cars, as well as radio, television, newspapers, and the AccuWeather Network cable channel. AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as weather news, content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Our real-time database includes:
- Hundreds of thousands of real-time weather observations updated every few minutes from land, ships and aircraft
- Satellite observations and lightning-strike data for locations around the world
- Most comprehensive global radar data set in over 40 countries showing the precise movement of precipitation.
- A rapidly rising quantity of crowdsourced reports, photos and information
- Over 160 global forecast models consisting of more than 12 terabytes of data daily run on supercomputers by governments all over the world – including our own models and proprietary commercial models we license.
The AccuWeather Forecast Engine
The AccuWeather Forecast Engine, is the world’s first weather forecast engine providing forecasts in more than 100 languages and dialects for every location on Earth. It generates highly localized forecasts for 2.3 million locations, with more than 100 parameters from temperature, humidity to rain, and snow and ice amounts for every hour over the next 90 days and for every minute for the next two hours. We have over 100 expert meteorologists committed to communicating the most accurate, most actionable, detailed, comprehensive and up to date forecasts worldwide to help people make the decisions they need to plan their lives, protect their business, and get more from their day. Our highly efficient graphical interface enables our meteorologists to modify forecasting parameters, continuously enhanced through verification.
These observations are reviewed in real-time for accuracy within our Digital Forecast System. The system then utilizes AccuWeather’s proprietary artificial intelligence algorithms to continuously modify our forecasts, ensuring they always incorporate the latest data and thereby maximizing their continual accuracy. Any changes to the forecast are automatically integrated into all downstream products. With over 30 years of experience in utilizing computers to digitally process weather data, AccuWeather has developed unique technology that seamlessly blends the best software algorithms with the experience of over 100 meteorologists.
Our Digital Forecast System, the world’s first and most advanced, includes:
- Comprehensive Proprietary data sets, which feature artificial intelligence developed and refined with over more than two decades of use and advancements to integrate multiple numerical models, and real-time observational data in order to generate the most accurate, detailed, and localized forecasts
- Effective, efficient human-machine interfaces which enable us to incorporate the skills of our expert meteorologists into the Digital Forecast System
- Unique foundational weather analytics with proprietary algorithms tuned to remove errors in various data observations and model inputs
- A state-of-the-art microscale model which downscales high-performing global and regional model data to provide accurate forecasts localized to every 1 km on a global basis
- Industry leading geo-location database
AccuWeather forecasts with Superior Accuracy for every longitude and latitude point on Earth. With offices around the world and more global users than any other weather media company, AccuWeather is a true global leader in accurate, actionable forecasts that help people get more from their life.